58 chemical handlers in GCAVC develop their awareness on pesticide handling
Written by Joey B. Pascua, Agriculturist II l Published: 03 August 2022
Mlang, North Cotabato | August 02, 2022 - In coordination with the Green Crop Agri Ventures Corporation (GCAVC), the FPA RFU-XII and Bayer CropScience Philippines organized training on the safe and judicious use of pesticides for the 58 chemical handlers of GCAVC in Mlang, Cotabato, last July 22, 2022.
Provincial Officer (PO) Maricel P. Tabigue discussed the FPA’s mandates and its strategic thrusts and functions. “FPA being a technical regulatory Agency, is mandated to assure the public with adequate supplies of fertilizers and pesticides at reasonable prices. We also aim to educate the people on how to use these agricultural inputs properly,” PO Tabigue said.
PO Jennie M. Basilio lectured on the importance of the safe handling of pesticides. She emphasized that pesticides are formulated to be toxic, and they can be dangerous if misused and mishandled. She also highlighted the following:
- All pesticides intended for commercial use in the Philippines shall be registered with FPA.
- Pesticide management focuses on maximizing the benefits of the chemical while minimizing its harmful effects.
- Importance of properly wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs)
- Pre-Harvest Interval (PHI), Maximum Residue Limits (MRL), and hazards of chemical residues to the human body.
- Triple rinsing and proper disposal of empty pesticide containers.
Mr. Allen Jay Ponce of Bayer CropScience Philippines also presented the product stewardship program.
In addition, PO Joey B. Pascua explained the current fertilizer price situation and the reasons behind the increasing prices of fertilizers and emphasized that the Covid-19 and gas shortage significantly impacted the price trend. He also promoted the Balance Fertilization Strategy (BFS) program, which could reduce dependency on inorganic fertilizers.
The GCAVC management expressed their gratitude and commended the FPA team and Bayer CropScience Philippines for organizing the activity.